Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Rebel's Guide to Joy in Death

Occasionally I listen to sermons from Pastor Mark Discoll at Mars Hill Church in Seattle. Yesterday I stumbled across this particular sermon dealing with death. The title caught my attention, Joy in Death

For most of us, it's difficult or even impossible to understand how those two words, joy and death can even fit together in a sentence, let alone experience it upon the death of a loved one. However, for the believer who dies or is facing death and the believer who mourns, joy can be found in death.  

Read what the apostle Paul, in Phil. 1:18-21, wrote to all the believers in Philippi, as he was suffering in prison for the sake of Christ. This is taken from The Message translation.

I can hardly wait to continue on my course. I don't expect to be embarrassed in the least. On the contrary, everything happening to me in this jail only serves to make Christ more accurately known, regardless of whether I live or die. They didn't shut me up; they gave me a pulpit! Alive, I'm Christ's messenger; dead, I'm his bounty. Life versus even more life! I can't lose.

And read what he passed along to the church of the Thessalonians in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18. This is also from The Message translation.

And regarding the question, friends, that has come up about what happens to those already dead and buried, we don't want you in the dark any longer. First off, you must not carry on over them like people who have nothing to look forward to, as if the grave were the last word. Since Jesus died and broke loose from the grave, God will most certainly bring back to life those who died in Jesus.

And then this: We can tell you with complete confidence—we have the Master's word on it—that when the Master comes again to get us, those of us who are still alive will not get a jump on the dead and leave them behind. In actual fact, they'll be ahead of us. The Master himself will give the command. Archangel thunder! God's trumpet blast! He'll come down from heaven and the dead in Christ will rise—they'll go first. Then the rest of us who are still alive at the time will be caught up with them into the clouds to meet the Master. Oh, we'll be walking on air! And then there will be one huge family reunion with the Master. So reassure one another with these word
s.

These are just two portions of Scripture where you can start to grasp the meaning behind finding joy in death.

One interesting thing Mark Driscoll says during this sermon (and this is not a direct quote) is, 

"For believers, this life it the closest you will ever come to hell. And for unbelievers, this life is the closest you will ever come to Heaven."

Wow, that's a bold statement and as a believer, it leaves me torn. On one hand I am grateful with anticipation for Heaven, thankful this life is temporary and eternity is forever, and left yearning for a life where ever tear will be wiped from my eyes.

On the other hand, I am faced with the reality that some of those whom I know are living their "heaven" here on earth and what lies ahead for them is a lake of fire. I pray continually their salvation.

If you are reading this and are not CONFIDENT in where you fall, 

Am I a believer or an unbeliever?
What does a believer believe in?
I am really living "heaven on earth"?
If "death knocks on my door" tomorrow, where will I spend eternity?

then I plead with you to hear the words of Jesus in John 3:1-21 and believe. And I mean truly believe, let it sink in. Let this "head knowledge" you think you've known all your life about Jesus, become "heart knowledge" - then and only then will you be transformed, reborn, and alive.

Afterall, there is a 100% chance we will all one day die, so why not be sure that joy is what you will experience in death.

I hope you will be able to find time to watch this video sermon. It's biblical, clear and eye-opening. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

If you are still with me, thanks for making it through this lengthy post! And don't forget to turn off the music on the bottom of my blog so you can hear the audio from the video.


No comments: