Last Saturday Andrew and I went to the Iowa vs. Michigan football game in Iowa City. It was a night game - started at 7 p.m. I've experienced a few night games at Kinnick Stadium, none of which have left me with a good feeling. This actually has nothing to do with the game per say but more so the atmosphere. Some may say the crowd was "electrifying" on Saturday night - I guess you could say that - I mean practically every seat was filled with a loud cheering Hawkeye fan, but for me the word that comes to mind is "harsh."
I couldn't get over the crude, vulgar language being thrown out of mouths all around me whether it be in response to a bad play or a bad call. In particular there were two men who sat behind us whose choice words almost made me physically sick. They spoke of Jesus Christ, God and Hell often but seemed not to be at all knowledgable about any of them. They coupled their choice words with the names of my precious Lord - each time, piercing through my heart.
Three quarters of the game I sat in judgement of these two men. Thoughts such as - "who do they think they are" and "if they only knew" and "how dare they" and "they will be sorry" and "do you know Jesus dried a brutal death for what you are saying" - continually ran through my head. In my mind they were worthless losers who didn't deserve to even have the ability to speak - harsh I know but I am being honest with you, this is was my attitude. But then I asked the Holy Spirit to work in my cold heart and He reminded of this powerful testimony I had just heard from Brian Welch, the former lead singer of Korn...
After I watched this video for the first time my heart was cheering for this man. I was praising God for His redeeming work in the life of a lost soul. His compassion. His love. His grace. His forgiveness. I loved Brian's description of what he felt when he asked Jesus to help him. He said he felt Fatherly love from Heaven come down.
So back to me in my stadium seat... When I recalled this story my heart changed and I began to pray for these two men, that one day soon they would learn of Jesus, repent and follow Him. I was reminded that God created these two men to worship Him and the same "Fatherly love from Heaven" that He covered Brian Welch with and the same forgiveness and newness of life He extended to me, is available to these two men.
A verse struck me today as I was reading in the Book of John. "For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him." - John 3:17
Though I believe the righteous anger I felt in response to these two men was just, it was not my place to condemn them in such a way where I neglected to pray for them and show compassion.
This again makes me stand in amazement of God. I cannot wrap my brain around His goodness. The very people he gives life to neglect Him. I, even as His child who knows Him, neglect Him - Yet because He loves me (and you) so much He did the unthinkable, the unimaginable, the unfathomable... He offered forgiveness and eternal life through the life and death of His son, Jesus Christ.
John the Baptist said in John 1:27 that he is unworthy even to untie the thongs of Jesus' sandals. What a statement. To realize that I am not even worthy to untie the thongs of Jesus' sandals yet He did something so remarkable for me knowing that I will never be or do anything good enough make up for it ... And to understand that He loves me with such intimacy even knowing that I will continually fail to be faithful to Him - it's just WAY beyond me.
There was a time in my life that too where filthy language was a part of my vocabulary. Where gossip was my friend. But about three years ago I was "born again of the Spirit" and now I truly seek to glorify God with my language and conversations - I still fail more often than I should but I can feel God continuing to sanctify me. Praise God! And Praise God for His Holy Spirit who works in me!
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Well said, Lindsay. Thanks for sharing this testimony--and the video, too. I had never seen it before. Praise God for forgiveness of sins!
Love,
Angela
Great post.
Great post Lindsay, such a great reminder! Thanks or sharing that video too, I had never seen it as well.
awesome reminder
Post a Comment