Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Take Heart


"...In the world, you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
-John 16:33-

"Really God?" I've said that phrase out loud to myself a good number of times these past few weeks. 

And then it's usually followed by these thoughts that I wouldn't let my lips speak out loud.

"I'm not so sure about you God." 
"If you love your children so much, how could you...?"
"I don't really know if I want to worship you when you have allowed ...."
"So show me again how you care."
"Where is the love in that, God?"

Pretty intense thoughts to have about the Creator of the universe, who I serve, obey, trust, and love.

Pretty bold thoughts to have about the One who gave me life, saved me from Hell, and secured me a place in Heaven. 

But nonetheless, I let these thoughts drift in and out of my head.

Did you notice I emphasized out

Did I entertain these thoughts? 
No. 
Meditate on them? 
No. 
Understand them to be true or right? 
No.

But it is because of God's Holy Word (The Bible) and His spirit (The Holy Spirit) who lives in me, the very One (God) who I question and momentarily doubt, is able to comfort me, set my mind straight and infuse me with truth, strength and hope yet once again.

Yeah, I still don't have any answers OR understand the whys behind every "trouble" that occurs in this world or that's weighing my heart down today, but I do KNOW that the Lord has overcome the world. And one day all the wrongs will be right again. This sustains me.

So here's how I translate this verse from John 16:33
... In this life you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.
today in my life. (By the way "trouble" in the King James version is "tribulation")

Okay here it goes...

Lindsay Farmer, in this life you will experience tribulation 
also known as:
-the death of your son (forever followed by sorrow & grief)
-the death of your mother-in-law (forever followed by sorrow and grief)
But take heart Lindsay! I (your Heavenly Father who loves, cares and adores you) have overcome the world.

And in the life of those who my heart is heavy for today. Here's what their verse looks like...

The Van De Pol family, in this life you will experience the death of your wife/mother. But take heart! Jesus Christ has overcome the world.

Friend of mine, in this life you will experience the death of your fiance by suicide. But take heart! Jesus Christ has overcome the world.

Fellow mommy, in this life you will experience the pain of watching your 4 month old struggle for life and possibly die because of a heart issue. But take heart! Jesus Christ has overcome the world.

Fellow mommy, in this life you will experience the pain of a stillbirth son and then having another child with a life-threatening skin-disease. But take heart! Jesus Christ has overcome the world.

Friend of mine, in this life you will experience the death of one of your students and the impact it will have on your class. But take heart! Jesus Christ has overcome the world.

Friend of mine, in this life you will experience overwhelming financial problems. But take heart! Jesus Christ has overcome the world.

Now what about your verse? I am sure you know exactly how you'd fill in the blank.

Praying for your "blanks" today and reminding you to take heart! Because Jesus Christ HAS OVERCOME the world! May this truth sustain you, bring you hope, and allow you to have joy in the midst of your suffering.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Friend of mine, in this life you will experience overwhelming financial problems. But take heart! Jesus Christ has overcome the world.